Tuesday 8 November 2011

Paradise?

I awoke to the sound of the waves lapping against the sandy beach. I felt I was back in Llandudno, I was reminded that I wasn't by the red mosquito bites that now decorate my face and arms. The mosquitoes obviously enjoy the taste of Welsh blood.
It was 5 am and I opened the curtain to look out across lake Malawi at the sun slowly illuminating the sky. The clouds were turning from grey blue, through purple and pinks as the sun rose in the East. I didn't want to miss the show so I put on my clothes and went outside, making sure that I had covered myself in deet (mosquito repellent). I walked the 10 meters down to the lake edge and placed my feet in the warm water. I had to remind myself that the water was fresh and that Lake Malawi is not a sea such as the Irish Sea. I could, if I wanted, happily drink this water without making myself ill with salt.
Mr Hughes, who lives by the proverb 'The early bird catches the worm', was surprised to see that he was not the first to wake and he came out to meet me five minutes later..
Mr Hughes and I stood by the lake both amazed at the beauty of the scene in front of us. I was then given a lesson on bird watching as Mr Hughes spotted birds that he had never seen before - Malachite Kingfisher, Pied Kingfisher, African Wagtail and an amazing Bat Hawk. Out over the lake we saw dark clouds slowly moving across the horizon, these were the clouds of insects that we had heard swarmed on the surface of the lake. I would not like to be near these clouds!
During our morning we went for a walk passed Mr Mzondi's house and saw local children walking to their school. They looked oddly at Mr Hughes who was looking through his binoculars at the birds. They had not seen a pair of binoculars before and when invited to look through them they were suspicious. When they saw the image magnified they laughed out loud and had big smiles across their faces.
This was all done before 7am when we met with PC Meirion, Cosmo and Craig and had our breakfast.
What a start to our third day, can't wait to see what else happens today.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marc, just looked up pennant winged nightjar and that's some bird especially if yours had that long ninth primary. Enjoy trip and watch out for those mossies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying following your progress. Thanks for keep us up to date. Dave

    ReplyDelete